- Marble Hill fires entire sewer department (8/23/16)5
- Ex-Southeast student gets probation for placing homemade sex video on porn site without woman's knowledge (8/24/16)13
- The Chrome Queens (8/21/16)2
- Bootheel lawmaker seeks probe into crop damage by illegal herbicide spraying (8/24/16)1
- Witness says he saw man shoot Domorlo McCaster (8/19/16)2
- Local private school dreams bigger, plans for new building at Sprigg and Lexington (8/22/16)
- Newsmakers 2016: Jason Bandermann (8/15/16)
- Pitmasters to descend on Arena Park for Cape BBQ Fest (8/19/16)2
- Southeast imposes 'interim suspension' of Sigma Nu fraternity over vandalism incident (8/19/16)22
- New CEO named at Wood & Huston Bank (8/21/16)
Jesus' promises give comfort when news is bad
To the editor:
Remember the song, "Don't Worry, Be Happy"? A lot of folks are having a hard time singing this song in recent days. With the bad news from Wall Street and the rising cost of health care, many are at their wit's end. I hear the fears being expressed almost daily.
This tells me some people have built their house on the wrong foundation. Jesus says all those who come and listen and obey him are like a man who builds a house on a strong foundation laid upon the underlying rock.
In Luke, chapter 6, Jesus says, "What happiness is there for you who are poor, for the kingdom of God is yours! What happiness there is for you who are now hungry, for you are going to be satisfied! What happiness there is for you who weep, for the time will come when you will laugh with joy! What happiness it is when others hate you and exclude you and insult you and smear your name because you are mine! When that happens, rejoice! For you will have a great reward awaiting you in heaven."
Jesus says don't worry, be happy. May I encourage you to grab hold of what you have just read. Take it to heart. It will lift you out of the darkness and into the light.