- Man accused of setting fire to Delta bar; posted photos of it burning on Facebook (9/17/17)5
- McClure man accused of leaving children in hot truck while gambling in casino (9/19/17)1
- Say Cheese: The story behind the famous sandwiches at the East Perry Fair (9/22/17)
- New boutique store advocates for special-needs people (9/19/17)
- Anne Limbaugh dies, leaves legacy of caring (9/22/17)
- Planet Fitness to anchor Town Plaza shopping center (9/18/17)2
- Former major-league slugger Darryl Strawberry to speak at La Croix (9/20/17)
- Mo. conservation agents help fight fires in western U.S. (9/15/17)
- Retailer may come to Jackson; rezoning needed first (9/17/17)2
- Young entrepreneurs add fresh ideas, unique offerings for area market (9/18/17)
Jesus' promises give comfort when news is bad
To the editor:
Remember the song, "Don't Worry, Be Happy"? A lot of folks are having a hard time singing this song in recent days. With the bad news from Wall Street and the rising cost of health care, many are at their wit's end. I hear the fears being expressed almost daily.
This tells me some people have built their house on the wrong foundation. Jesus says all those who come and listen and obey him are like a man who builds a house on a strong foundation laid upon the underlying rock.
In Luke, chapter 6, Jesus says, "What happiness is there for you who are poor, for the kingdom of God is yours! What happiness there is for you who are now hungry, for you are going to be satisfied! What happiness there is for you who weep, for the time will come when you will laugh with joy! What happiness it is when others hate you and exclude you and insult you and smear your name because you are mine! When that happens, rejoice! For you will have a great reward awaiting you in heaven."
Jesus says don't worry, be happy. May I encourage you to grab hold of what you have just read. Take it to heart. It will lift you out of the darkness and into the light.