- Cape teacher accused of assaulting student at football game (10/23/16)30
- Pedestrian killed during traffic collision on I-55 (10/23/16)8
- Scott County Sheriff Rick Walter faces challenge from criminal investigator Wes Drury (10/21/16)8
- Shooting injures two people in Cape early Tuesday (10/19/16)34
- 18-year-old killed in one-car crash Thursday morning (10/21/16)1
- Man arrested after dispute at school spurs brief lockdown (10/21/16)6
- 'I feel for them' (10/20/16)1
- Perry County: A great place to find home away from home (10/14/16)
- Hundreds turn out for VintageNOW fundraiser (10/23/16)3
- Crews are working on the new Drury Hotel (10/21/16)4
Sen. McCain gets ready for 'Saturday Night Live'
PHOENIX -- Arizona Sen. John McCain said he's thankful there will be a week of rehearsals before he guest hosts "Saturday Night Live" this fall.
Jennifer Skorlich, NBC's director of non-prime-time programming, confirmed Thursday that McCain will be an SNL host.
The date of McCain's appearance was not immediately announced.
McCain said recent polls have shown that many young people get their political news from Jay Leno, David Letterman, "SNL," or Comedy Central.
"It's scary, but true," he said.
Magic among most powerful black execs
LOS ANGELES -- Basketball great Earvin "Magic" Johnson has been named one of Fortune magazine's 50 "Most Powerful Black Executives."
Johnson, who heads a chain of movie theaters and a real estate development firm worth an estimated $500 million, ranked 33rd on the top 50 list. He also heads the nonprofit Magic Johnson Foundation.
Heading the list is E. Stanley O'Neal, chief operating officer of Merrill Lynch; followed by Ken Chenault, chief executive officer of American Express; and Richard Parsons, CEO of AOL Time Warner.
Jennifer Lopez takes leave of latest husband
LOS ANGELES -- Jennifer Lopez has officially had enough of her 10-month marriage to dancer Cris Judd.
The actress-singer filed a divorce petition, citing irreconcilable differences, in Superior Court Thursday, a day after her 32nd birthday.
The couple separated June 2, and the subsequent divorce negotiations were "extremely amicable," commented Lopez's attorney, Dennis M. Wasser.
Lopez, who recently starred in the thriller "Enough," married Judd in a private ceremony in Calabasas on Sept. 29, just months after she broke up with hip-hop mogul Sean "P. Diddy" Combs.
Capt. Kirk does 'Lucy in the Sky' for music show
LOS ANGELES -- William Shatner says musicians shouldn't take offense if they're featured on his new VH1 documentary show, "One Hit Wonders."
The "Star Trek" star, who has poked fun at his own cover versions of "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds" and "Mr. Tambourine Man," said the show is a tribute to unforgettable tunes by artists who never repeated the same success.
"In the world that we inhabit, having one hit is a lot better than having no hits," the 71-year-old Shatner said.
Despite the show's lighthearted approach, he added, it illustrates the difficulty of achieving success in the music industry.
--From wire reports