- Woman's post about 'Back the Blue' sign in Jackson coffee shop prompts firing from nearby bar (8/15/17)9
- Scott City man dies in motorcycle crash near Millersville (8/13/17)
- Sands Pancake House moving to Morgan Oak location (8/11/17)1
- Cape movie theater to feature recliners, new food and drink options (8/11/17)3
- Stoogefest headliner cancels, cites NAACP travel advisory in Missouri (8/15/17)2
- Teen convicted of shooting area woman in 2015 (8/13/17)
- Man accused of making terror threats against dental office (8/13/17)
- Councilman: Scott City mayor, city administrator resigned (8/15/17)4
- Judge hears Mosby's formerly suppressed confession at Robinson hearing (8/9/17)
- $34 million student housing project on schedule, developer says (8/14/17)2
Police - Robbery incident led to toddler's kidnapping
ATLANTA -- A woman was charged Thursday with taking part in a robbery that ended with the abduction of her 14-month-old daughter from the mother's home, police said.
Dionna Scott, 18, was also charged with kidnapping, but in connection with the abduction of her boyfriend, not the girl, police said.
Scott turned up at a police station Wednesday with her daughter one day after masked robbers kidnapped the child and stole a safe. Demecia L. Scott was unharmed and turned over to child welfare officials.
Besides the robbery charge, the mother is charged with kidnapping boyfriend Willie Parks, 41, said police spokesman Sgt. John Quigley. Parks was burned with an iron and beaten until he revealed the safe's combination before he was abducted, Quigley said.
The two masked men and a woman took the toddler along with a safe containing at least $10,000 Tuesday night, Quigley said. Police believe the kidnappers returned Demecia to her mother.
"The principle motive appears to be robbery," he said. "It appears the folks were interested in the money in the safe."
Two other suspects were arrested Thursday and the fourth was being sought, Quigley said.
Parks was being treated for burns and a broken jaw.