- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)48
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says copsí good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
What does fraud reap? Elvis souvenirs
Here's every American consumer's dream: Someone gives you a credit card, but every time you charge something, the bill will go ... to somebody else.
There's just one requirement: You might have to justify your purchases, if someone asks.
Wink. Wink. Nudge. Nudge.
That's pretty much the situation thousands of Pentagon employees were put in. They were given credit cards to use for necessary, government-related spending such as official travel and meals. But they spent millions of dollars for their own personal use, purchasing computers, cruises, fine china, cigars, wine, Vegas trips, casino gambling and even Elvis Presley souvenirs from Graceland.
The Defense Department has been investigating these abuses for two years. The latest finding is that some 200 Army personnel used their cards to get cash at strip clubs to spend on lap dancers. The Pentagon report expressed some dismay that it couldn't find any documentation that the offenders had been disciplined.
Perhaps the Pentagon might ask itself this question: Why haven't all these cards been canceled? That's what parents do when their children run up huge credit-card debt. It usually puts a stop to the abuse -- or, at least, the parents no longer get surprised with big bills at the end of the month.