- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Man accused of pointing BB gun at Chaffee resident (04/26/16)2
St. Francis Foundation awards scholarships
The St. Francis Medical Center Foundation and the Auxiliary awarded 19 scholarships worth $1,000 each to students pursuing health-care careers.
The scholarships are endowed by the foundation, auxiliary and individuals.
The scholarships are awarded based on factors including financial need, scholastic standing and completion of one full year in an accredited health-care field.
In addition to these scholarships, two $500 scholarships are awarded each year to the School of Practical Nursing at the Career and Technology Center.
The 2002 scholarship recipients are:
Nursing: Amy Carman of Kelso, Mo., the Christen Joyel Aufdenberg Memorial Scholarship; Leslie Stanfield of Jackson, Mo., the Bernadine Campbell Memorial Scholarship; Margaret Williams of Perryville, Mo., the Mark F. Scully Nursing Scholarship; Tina Kisner of Perryville, the Clara D. Newnam Memorial Scholarship.
Human Environmental Studies (Dietician): Robin Below of Whitewater, Mo., St. Francis Auxiliary Scholarship; Nancy Keim of Leopold,Mo., Bess Estes Memorial Scholarship.
Physician: Marcy Swogger of Sikeston, Mo., Lee G. and Katherine Cochran Memorial Scholarship; Jodie Smith of Cape Girardeau, Raymond A. and Lillian K. Ritter Scholarship; April Thompson of Cape Girardeau, Raymond A. and Lillian K. Ritter Scholarship.
Nuclear Medicine: Vernita Thatch of Parma, Mo. and Cape Girardeau, Joseph and Harriette Hunter McCrate Scholarship.
Pharmacy: Clay Pingel of Jackson, Sisters of St. Francis Scholarship; Kara Thoma of Jackson, Evalyn and S. David Nunley Scholarship; Carrie Beth Smith of Cape Girardeau, St. Francis Foundation Scholarship.
Medical Technology: Katie Wencewicz of Cape Girardeau, Edythe M. Davis Scholarship.
Speech Pathology: Sarah Flowers of Cape Girardeau, Lucy Ellen Towse Scholarship.
Respiratory Therapy: Jennifer Essner of Perryville, Hutteger-Scherer Memorial Scholarship.
Physical Therapy: Jason Rubel of Cape Girardeau, Mamie Hall Memorial Scholarship; Amber Donelson of Cape Girardeau, St. Francis Auxiliary 125th Anniversary Scholarship.
Health/Fitness Administration: Jeramiah Karl of Cape Girardeau, Carrie Suedekum Memorial Scholarship.