- Cape man gets 8 years for robbery, his first offense (12/7/16)9
- 3 students in custody for violent threat; no details released (12/9/16)15
- Abuse suspect tries to take cop's gun; officer zaps him with Taser and punches his face (12/7/16)3
- Group seeks to create a neighborhood park on Cape Girardeau's south side (12/7/16)14
- Man sentenced to 103 years for murder of Cape woman (12/6/16)4
- Cape may allow residents to keep chickens; residents at meeting push for measure (12/6/16)34
- Poplar Bluff man accused of enticement, child porn in Scott County sting operation (12/4/16)
- Burglary suspect apprehended inside Jackson garage (12/4/16)
- Company to start recruiting businesses to Jackson, Cape (12/9/16)14
- 13 venues, 60 sponsors participating in Happy Slapowitz's Toy Bash on Thursday (12/7/16)2
Police, EMTs and firefighters deserve thanks
To the editor:
To the individual who thought police officers and firefighters get unfair coverage: I respect your opinion. However, I hold these people in the highest regard. These individuals are underpaid and underappreciated. Every day they are called out to risk their lives to save someone else's without a second thought. I respect anyone who is willing to risk his life for mine or one of my loved ones.
It's sad, though, that the only time they are truly recognized and appreciated is when they have lost their lives or have come close to it. I would like to thank every police officer, firefighter and emergency medical technician for the work they do. God bless you and your families.