- Obama shortens sentence of inmate from Cape (1/19/17)9
- Jackson police describe night of anger, car crashes, drug possession by 18-year-old (1/22/17)5
- Area hospitals hope a box helps prevent infant deaths (1/19/17)6
- A message from heaven (1/23/17)
- Local students to perform with choir at inauguration (1/19/17)3
- Southeast to lose $3.5 million from state in budget cuts (1/18/17)21
- Subjects of interest in 1992 killing take polygraph tests; results not revealed (1/18/17)2
- Meat-processing plant faces $70K penalty for Clean Water Act violations (1/17/17)4
- Area residents among those attending inauguration, women's march (1/22/17)90
- Comedian, cancer survivor Tom Green headlines sold-out Cancer Center benefit (1/22/17)
Scott City recovers from shocking mayhem
Scott City is known for a small-town way of life and neighbors who know and care about each other.
Many residents live in Scott City and work in Cape Girardeau because they embrace small-town values.
All of this made it so much more shocking when Scott City was the site of two brutal incidents last week.
First, a teen-ager was accused of stabbing his stepfather to death July 10 because the man wouldn't let him move back in. That case will make its way through the courts, a heartbreak for relatives involved with every legal motion and courtroom appearance.
Hours later, a troubled man violated a judge's order to stay away from his estranged wife. He shot her during a confrontation just outside their home and then killed himself while their three children were inside the home.
Scott City residents can take a small amount of comfort that police are not out looking for a suspect who might create fear of more mayhem. Otherwise, it will take time -- and a lot of reflection and prayer -- to get past the shock and disbelief.