- Deputies: Man, woman tried to arrange killing of his estranged wife (5/21/17)1
- Cape fines contractor $1,100 a day for street-project delays; contractor blames utility relocations (5/18/17)13
- Former coroner convicted of felony theft now faces prison in misdemeanor case (5/23/17)2
- Cape police say man assaulted, kidnapped girlfriend (5/21/17)2
- Woman may lose foot after being hit by moped (5/24/17)
- Mississippi County sheriff fights efforts in court to remove him from office (5/21/17)4
- Business notebook: Woman, sister-in-law buy Perryville custom-wear shop (5/22/17)
- Cape man accused of shooting a woman in Jackson (5/21/17)
- Police apprehend Charleston man they say hit Cape woman with car (5/24/17)
- Broadening horizons: Heartland Dream Team founder stays committed to area youth (5/21/17)2
Scott City recovers from shocking mayhem
Scott City is known for a small-town way of life and neighbors who know and care about each other.
Many residents live in Scott City and work in Cape Girardeau because they embrace small-town values.
All of this made it so much more shocking when Scott City was the site of two brutal incidents last week.
First, a teen-ager was accused of stabbing his stepfather to death July 10 because the man wouldn't let him move back in. That case will make its way through the courts, a heartbreak for relatives involved with every legal motion and courtroom appearance.
Hours later, a troubled man violated a judge's order to stay away from his estranged wife. He shot her during a confrontation just outside their home and then killed himself while their three children were inside the home.
Scott City residents can take a small amount of comfort that police are not out looking for a suspect who might create fear of more mayhem. Otherwise, it will take time -- and a lot of reflection and prayer -- to get past the shock and disbelief.