- Cape teacher accused of assaulting student at football game (10/23/16)41
- Pedestrian killed during traffic collision on I-55 (10/23/16)9
- Scott County Sheriff Rick Walter faces challenge from criminal investigator Wes Drury (10/21/16)8
- Shooting injures two people in Cape early Tuesday (10/19/16)34
- 18-year-old killed in one-car crash Thursday morning (10/21/16)1
- Man arrested after dispute at school spurs brief lockdown (10/21/16)6
- 'I feel for them' (10/20/16)1
- Hundreds turn out for VintageNOW fundraiser (10/23/16)3
- Crews are working on the new Drury Hotel (10/21/16)4
- Benton man accused of statutory rape, selling pot (10/20/16)1
Scott City recovers from shocking mayhem
Scott City is known for a small-town way of life and neighbors who know and care about each other.
Many residents live in Scott City and work in Cape Girardeau because they embrace small-town values.
All of this made it so much more shocking when Scott City was the site of two brutal incidents last week.
First, a teen-ager was accused of stabbing his stepfather to death July 10 because the man wouldn't let him move back in. That case will make its way through the courts, a heartbreak for relatives involved with every legal motion and courtroom appearance.
Hours later, a troubled man violated a judge's order to stay away from his estranged wife. He shot her during a confrontation just outside their home and then killed himself while their three children were inside the home.
Scott City residents can take a small amount of comfort that police are not out looking for a suspect who might create fear of more mayhem. Otherwise, it will take time -- and a lot of reflection and prayer -- to get past the shock and disbelief.