- Owner of Mary Jane Burgers & Brew in Perryville to open new culinary concept in Cape (9/15/17)3
- Man accused of setting fire to Delta bar; posted photos of it burning on Facebook (9/17/17)5
- McClure man accused of leaving children in hot truck while gambling in casino (9/19/17)1
- How the story of one dog is helping others (9/14/17)1
- New boutique store advocates for special-needs people (9/19/17)
- Retailer may come to Jackson; rezoning needed first (9/17/17)2
- Eyewitnesses testify about fatal shooting; men were using drugs, alcohol (9/14/17)
- Jury finds Harris guilty of murder, 3 other counts (9/15/17)4
- Planet Fitness to anchor Town Plaza shopping center (9/18/17)2
- Mo. conservation agents help fight fires in western U.S. (9/15/17)
Scott City recovers from shocking mayhem
Scott City is known for a small-town way of life and neighbors who know and care about each other.
Many residents live in Scott City and work in Cape Girardeau because they embrace small-town values.
All of this made it so much more shocking when Scott City was the site of two brutal incidents last week.
First, a teen-ager was accused of stabbing his stepfather to death July 10 because the man wouldn't let him move back in. That case will make its way through the courts, a heartbreak for relatives involved with every legal motion and courtroom appearance.
Hours later, a troubled man violated a judge's order to stay away from his estranged wife. He shot her during a confrontation just outside their home and then killed himself while their three children were inside the home.
Scott City residents can take a small amount of comfort that police are not out looking for a suspect who might create fear of more mayhem. Otherwise, it will take time -- and a lot of reflection and prayer -- to get past the shock and disbelief.