- Woman sleeping in car accused of attacking Cape officer (7/26/16)13
- Mother charged after toddler falls out of moving car (7/29/16)2
- Seeking new history: Centurion Development buys former Woolworth building at 1 N. Main St. (7/28/16)5
- Police: Child's video revealed stepfather's abuse of sibling (7/28/16)3
- Cape resident gets seven years in prison for shooting at man (7/26/16)1
- Governor signs Rep. Swan bill that equalizes child-custody criteria (7/6/16)5
- Former Scott City mayor refutes claims made about loss of curbside recycling pickup (7/26/16)
- Burglary of trailer leaves its residents homeless (7/27/16)4
- Cape to get small-market ride-sharing service carGO (7/29/16)8
- Foot plots provide habitats and nutrition to attract wildlife, grow populations (7/18/16)
Texas woman mauled to death by pet pit bulls
HOUSTON (AP) -- Four pit bull terriers fatally mauled a woman who had raised them from puppies, authorities said Wednesday.
Dorothy Carter, 52, was found Tuesday night by her husband after he returned to their home in Splendora, 35 miles northeast of Houston. The dogs, which weighed between 45 pounds and 100 pounds, were standing over her body.
Bernard Lee Carter, 50, said the dogs had always protected his wife and had never been aggressive. He said his wife recently had a seizure and the dogs tried to get her to get up by pulling on her hair. He suggested the same thing happened Tuesday.
But a preliminary finding from Harris County medical examiners concluded she was killed by the dogs.
"There were a lot of bites all over her," police Sgt. Mark Seals said. "It's probably the worst I've seen."