- Fatal-shooting victim ID'd; uncle said he tried to break up fight (9/29/16)19
- Driver charged with manslaughter in crash that killed 2 (9/27/16)
- Perryville man arrested for alleged patronizing prostitution, harassment (9/23/16)6
- Perryville High principal on leave; no reason given (9/28/16)9
- Video and evidence largely confirm trooper's claims in April traffic stop shooting (9/23/16)9
- Cape man may lose eye after shovel beating, police say (9/25/16)2
- Animal-rescue group receives grant from rock star for spay, neuter assistance (9/28/16)1
- Monia pleads guilty to 9 counts of financial exploitation of elderly; dealings with murderer Joseph clarified (9/28/16)10
- Woman accused of pushing Wal-Mart employee after theft (9/27/16)
- Planning, design puts renovations of H-H building into hotel on hold (9/26/16)5
Investigator visited woman same day she drove children into bay
MIAMI -- A woman who deliberately drove into Biscayne Bay with her two children had been visited twice in the days leading up to the incident by investigators looking into anonymous calls to a child-abuse hot line, authorities said Wednesday.
Kisha Bethel, 22, and her 5-year-old daughter died Monday after the sport utility vehicle sank in 10 feet of water. Bethel's 3-month-old son survived but was in a deep coma on life support.
Records show that Broward County sheriff's deputies first investigated child abuse allegations at the home in October 2001.
Investigators returned on Saturday and again Sunday.
The Miami Herald reported Wednesday that Bethel panicked the morning she drove into the bay because she thought the child welfare agency would take her children away.