- Missing Jackson woman found dead in Bollinger County pond (06/23/16)3
- Many Jackson students may face random drug-testing (06/26/16)30
- Village of Zalma must disincorporate, law says (06/23/16)5
- Jackson man accused of felony assault after attack at Cape bar (06/26/16)7
- Coroner asks for grand jury in Poplar Bluff fatal hit-and-run case (06/28/16)
- Four men accused of roles in three robberies (06/29/16)3
- Witness says he saw suspect kill his best friend (06/24/16)
- Officials: Ash borer less of a problem here than in St. Louis (06/27/16)
- Cape detective who helped solve Krajcir case is retiring (06/28/16)8
- Police: Cape man kidnapped woman, then raped, assaulted her (06/30/16)2
Investigator visited woman same day she drove children into bay
MIAMI -- A woman who deliberately drove into Biscayne Bay with her two children had been visited twice in the days leading up to the incident by investigators looking into anonymous calls to a child-abuse hot line, authorities said Wednesday.
Kisha Bethel, 22, and her 5-year-old daughter died Monday after the sport utility vehicle sank in 10 feet of water. Bethel's 3-month-old son survived but was in a deep coma on life support.
Records show that Broward County sheriff's deputies first investigated child abuse allegations at the home in October 2001.
Investigators returned on Saturday and again Sunday.
The Miami Herald reported Wednesday that Bethel panicked the morning she drove into the bay because she thought the child welfare agency would take her children away.