- Krispy Kreme coming to Cape Girardeau (12/14/17)2
- Light and music show: Jackson family goes high-tech with Christmas display (12/11/17)
- Former Wimpy's Drive-In owner Freeman Lewis dies (12/9/17)2
- Jury convicts Scott City man who confessed to murder; girlfriend's testimony corroborates confession (12/9/17)
- Cape schools to get two new principals, assistant superintendent (12/13/17)1
- Feds ask judge to impose $6.5 million punishment for Cape surgeon (12/7/17)9
- Two Cape County residents, including former Jackson police officer, face burglary charges in Colorado (12/12/17)
- Pedestrian struck on Broadway (12/11/17)4
- Kelso resident brings home $60K in lottery winnings (12/14/17)
- Makeover at the movies: Transformation complete inside Cape theater (12/8/17)4
Defense lawyer appeals verdict in kidnap-slaying
KARACHI, Pakistan -- A defense lawyer asked a Pakistani appeals court Wednesday to overturn the convictions of three Islamic militants in the kidnap-murder of Wall Street Journal correspondent Daniel Pearl.
In a petition filed with the High Court of Sindh province, attorney Rai Bashir said the case against Salman Saqib, Fahad Naseem and Shaikh Adil was "false and baseless."
They were convicted Monday and sentenced to life imprisonment, which in Pakistan means 25 years.
Bashir does not represent the fourth defendant, Ahmed Omar Saeed Sheikh.