- Missing Jackson woman found dead in Bollinger County pond (06/23/16)4
- Many Jackson students may face random drug-testing (06/26/16)30
- Village of Zalma must disincorporate, law says (06/23/16)5
- Jackson man accused of felony assault after attack at Cape bar (06/26/16)7
- Coroner asks for grand jury in Poplar Bluff fatal hit-and-run case (06/28/16)
- Four men accused of roles in three robberies (06/29/16)3
- Witness says he saw suspect kill his best friend (06/24/16)
- Officials: Ash borer less of a problem here than in St. Louis (06/27/16)
- Cape detective who helped solve Krajcir case is retiring (06/28/16)8
- Police: Cape man kidnapped woman, then raped, assaulted her (06/30/16)2
Defense lawyer appeals verdict in kidnap-slaying
KARACHI, Pakistan -- A defense lawyer asked a Pakistani appeals court Wednesday to overturn the convictions of three Islamic militants in the kidnap-murder of Wall Street Journal correspondent Daniel Pearl.
In a petition filed with the High Court of Sindh province, attorney Rai Bashir said the case against Salman Saqib, Fahad Naseem and Shaikh Adil was "false and baseless."
They were convicted Monday and sentenced to life imprisonment, which in Pakistan means 25 years.
Bashir does not represent the fourth defendant, Ahmed Omar Saeed Sheikh.