- Marble Hill fires entire sewer department (8/23/16)5
- Ex-Southeast student gets probation for placing homemade sex video on porn site without woman's knowledge (8/24/16)13
- Bootheel lawmaker seeks probe into crop damage by illegal herbicide spraying (8/24/16)1
- The Chrome Queens (8/21/16)2
- Local private school dreams bigger, plans for new building at Sprigg and Lexington (8/22/16)
- Newsmakers 2016: Jason Bandermann (8/15/16)
- 'Santa' suspect Moffat sentenced to 12 years for sexual abuse of girl (8/23/16)2
- New CEO named at Wood & Huston Bank (8/21/16)
- Schnucks bans solicitors, including organizations like Salvation Army (8/24/16)38
- Police: Woman beat another woman with a bat over a pair of shoes (8/21/16)2
Defense lawyer appeals verdict in kidnap-slaying
KARACHI, Pakistan -- A defense lawyer asked a Pakistani appeals court Wednesday to overturn the convictions of three Islamic militants in the kidnap-murder of Wall Street Journal correspondent Daniel Pearl.
In a petition filed with the High Court of Sindh province, attorney Rai Bashir said the case against Salman Saqib, Fahad Naseem and Shaikh Adil was "false and baseless."
They were convicted Monday and sentenced to life imprisonment, which in Pakistan means 25 years.
Bashir does not represent the fourth defendant, Ahmed Omar Saeed Sheikh.