- Cape man gets 8 years for robbery, his first offense (12/7/16)9
- 3 students in custody for violent threat; no details released (12/9/16)15
- Abuse suspect tries to take cop's gun; officer zaps him with Taser and punches his face (12/7/16)3
- Group seeks to create a neighborhood park on Cape Girardeau's south side (12/7/16)14
- Man sentenced to 103 years for murder of Cape woman (12/6/16)4
- Cape may allow residents to keep chickens; residents at meeting push for measure (12/6/16)34
- Poplar Bluff man accused of enticement, child porn in Scott County sting operation (12/4/16)
- Burglary suspect apprehended inside Jackson garage (12/4/16)
- Company to start recruiting businesses to Jackson, Cape (12/9/16)15
- 13 venues, 60 sponsors participating in Happy Slapowitz's Toy Bash on Thursday (12/7/16)2
Defense lawyer appeals verdict in kidnap-slaying
KARACHI, Pakistan -- A defense lawyer asked a Pakistani appeals court Wednesday to overturn the convictions of three Islamic militants in the kidnap-murder of Wall Street Journal correspondent Daniel Pearl.
In a petition filed with the High Court of Sindh province, attorney Rai Bashir said the case against Salman Saqib, Fahad Naseem and Shaikh Adil was "false and baseless."
They were convicted Monday and sentenced to life imprisonment, which in Pakistan means 25 years.
Bashir does not represent the fourth defendant, Ahmed Omar Saeed Sheikh.