- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)47
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)42
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
Religion briefs 7/13
Area women attend Lutheran meeting
Seventeen area residents recently attended the 17th biennial convention of the Misouri District Lutheran Women's Missionary League. Among them were Dorothy Bertrand, zone president; Becky Heuer, district bylaws chairwoman; the Rev. Jeffrey Sippy, district senior counselor; Doloris Meyr, Amber Kuehn, Martha Cox, Eileeen Schlichting, Magdalene Vogel, Doris Schmidt, Nelda Steffen, Lida Mueller, Dorothy Points, Ruth Nischwitz, Gladys Smith, Karen Durry, Rosemarie Schwent and Jean Boxdorfer.
"Marked with his love" was the theme of the convention during which 14 mission grants were selected for the 2002 to 2004 campaign. Groups receiving grants included the Chapel of Hope on the Southeast Missouri State University campus and the Lutheran Family and Children's Services.
New minister takes post at First General Baptist
Kenneth Smith recently was installed to the ministry position of director of music and youth at First General Baptist Church of Cape Girardeau. Performing the installation was the Rev. Sam Ramdial, senior pastor.
Smith and his wife, Tracey, have three children. He is a graduate of Moody Bible Institute and has served as youth, music and children's pastor at Pleasant Heights Baptist Church in Indianapolis, Ind.
Jubilaires Quartet to sing at Scott City
The Jubilaires Quartet with Gerry McCloud, Jr. will be in concert at 6 p.m. Sunday at Father's Arms Fellowship in Scott City, Mo.
Judgement House show plays at Lynwood in July
Judgement House, an interactive walk-through drama, will be presented from 7 to 10 p.m. July 24 to 27 by Lynwood Baptist Church in Cape Girardeau.
As a tour participant, the audience members follow the lives of a normal American family who meets with tragedy in the untimely death of loved ones.
Reservation passes will be available Monday and Tuesday. For more information, call 334-3964. No reservations will be taken by phone or mail.
There is a limit of 10 passes per person, and a $2 donation is requested for each reservation pass.
--From staff reports