Stepson charged in man's brutal stabbing

Friday, July 12, 2002

SCOTT CITY, Mo. -- A man is dead and his stepson charged with murder as a typically calm Scott City neighborhood recovers from a stabbing residents say shattered their sense of security.

John David Mayabb, 48, of 602 Olive was stabbed repeatedly in the abdomen and chest with a knife by his stepson, Christopher Lance Jones, 18, of Scott City shortly after 7 p.m. on Wednesday in a rear hallway of the Mayabb home.

Police arrived at 7:18 p.m. after a 911 call. Mayabb was rushed to St. Francis Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead at 8:12 p.m.

An autopsy, performed Thursday at the Mineral Area Medical Center in Farmington, Mo., showed Mayabb had been stabbed "multiple times" and sustained other wounds from trying to fend off the attack, Scott County Coroner Scott Amick said. He didn't have the exact number.

Prosecutors charged Jones with second-degree murder and armed criminal action Thursday. He is being held in the Scott County Jail.

If convicted, he faces prison terms of from 10 years to life on the murder change and a minimum of three years on the count of armed criminal action, prosecutors said.

Police said Jones may have been drunk when he stabbed Mayabb.

The slaying was one of two in the same night in the small Scott County town, population 4,500. The last homicide in Scott City was Nov. 28, 1994, when Amy Morningstar, 17, of Cape Girardeau was shot in the head.

Jones was arrested Wednesday as he walked down a quiet, residential street about five blocks from the scene of the stabbing. Police said Jones surrendered quietly, and they confiscated Jones' shirt as evidence.

Mayabb's wife, Amy, was home at the time and told police that her son had stabbed Mayabb. The knife wasn't recovered, police said.

Jones and Mayabb hadn't been getting along. "They had had a disagreement for some time," said police chief Danny Clubb.

Jones, who had been kicked out of the house, wanted to move back in, police and neighbors said. Police detained Jones earlier in the week on a 20-hour investigation before releasing him. No charges were filed in that case, and police refused to say what the case involved.

Quiet morning

Mayabb's single-story, green frame house was cordoned off by yellow police tape. But otherwise the house and the surrounding neighborhood seemed peaceful Thursday morning.

Residents said the Mayabbs mostly kept to themselves but were good neighbors. John Mayabb worked as a construction laborer.

"He was a quiet person," said next-door neighbor Mike Lynn. "John didn't bother anybody."

Larry Smith and his wife, Wanda, live just down the street from the Mayabb house. He saw the police and emergency vehicles on his street Wednesday night.

"It's just a bad thing," Larry Smith said as he stood in his front yard. "It can happen anywhere."

Wanda Smith said Mayabb had kicked Jones out of the house several times. She said Jones wasn't a big talker. "Normally, he was just a quiet boy."

Amick-Burnett Funeral Chapel in Scott City is handling the funeral arrangements, which will be announced later.

335-6611, extension 123

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: