- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)48
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says copsí good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
Alfred "Al" Laurentius, 73, of Cape Girardeau died Sunday, July 7, 2002, at his home.
He was born Nov. 21, 1928, at Glennon, Mo., son of Joe A. and Mary Elizabeth VanGennip Laurentius. He and Rose Marie VanGennip were married Aug. 21, 1954, at Leopold, Mo.
Mr. Laurentius graduated from Bell City High School and served in the U.S. Army from 1951 to 1953.
He worked for Standard Oil Co. 19 years and retired in 1998 from MFA Oil Co. after 22 years of service. He was a member of St. Mary's Cathedral and Knights of Columbus Council 1111.
He is survived by his wife, Rose; four sons, Gary Laurentius of Fruitland, Mo., Randy Laurentius of Cape Girardeau, Jim Laurentius of Chesterfield, Mo., Rick Laurentius of Caruthersville, Mo.; a daughter, Shirley Niswonger of Cape Girardeau.
Also surviving are four grandchildren, Jeremy, Kelli, Dan and Lisa Laurentius, all of Fruitland; a brother, Leon Laurentius of Jackson, Mo.; and a sister, Jane VanGennip of Cape Girardeau.
He was preceded in death by his parents and a son, Ray.
Friends may call at Ford and Sons Mount Auburn Funeral Home from 4 to 8 p.m. today. Parish prayers will be at 7, followed by Knights of Columbus Council 1111 rosary.
Funeral Mass will be at 10 a.m. Wednesday at St. Mary's Cathedral, with Msgr. Richard Rolwing officiating. Burial will be in St. Mary's Cemetery.