- Man killed by vehicle had been charged with domestic assault (11/30/16)
- Jackson man to cast electoral vote for Trump; others trying to dissuade him (11/29/16)51
- Post-election taunts reported at Jackson schools (12/2/16)27
- Former Cape council member dies, remembered as 'wonderful public servant' (11/29/16)1
- Burglary suspect apprehended inside Jackson garage (12/4/16)
- Poplar Bluff man accused of enticement, child porn in Scott County sting operation (12/4/16)
- Missouri chamber to honor Cape's John Mehner (11/30/16)6
- Woman accused in three robberies disguised herself as man (11/29/16)5
- Men who pulled father, son from burning car near Naylor honored by highway patrol (12/1/16)
- Cape woman hopes son's death in Chattanooga will lead to better policing (11/30/16)11
Former Nazi SS officer appeals conviction
HAMBURG, Germany -- A former Nazi SS major has appealed his conviction on 59 counts of murder for a World War II massacre of Italian prisoners, the Hamburg state court said Monday.
Friedrich Engel, 93, on Friday was sentenced to seven years in prison for his part in the shootings on a mountain pass above Genoa, but the Hamburg court let him walk away a free man because of his age. There was no word on when the Federal Criminal Court would hear his appeal.
Engel has steadfastly denied charges that he ordered the shooting. He said the operation was led by the navy, whose units guarded and shot the prisoners May 19, 1944.
Judge Rolf Seedorf said Friday that the evidence showed Engel played a leading role in organizing the shootings in reprisal for an attack on a movie theater.