Pakistan says al-Qaida was behind bomb attack on U.S. consulate
Tuesday, July 2, 2002
Associated Press WriterRAWALPINDI, Pakistan (AP) -- Pakistan has evidence that al-Qaida financed last month's deadly car-bombing at the U.S. Consulate in Karachi that killed at least 12 people, the country's internal security chief said Tuesday.
"We know al-Qaida was behind the attack on the U.S. Consulate," Interior Minister Moinuddin Haider told reporters. "We have credible information that al-Qaida financed it."
Haider did not elaborate on the claim that Osama bin Laden's network was behind the June 14 attack. However, officials had speculated that the attack was carried out either by al-Qaida or Pakistani Islamic extremists with ties to the terrorist network.
The minister, who is in charge of police and internal security in Pakistan, said the attack, as well as the January kidnap-slaying of Wall Street Journal reporter Daniel Pearl and a May car-bombing that killed 11 French engineers, stemmed from the country's support for the war against terrorism.
"We have faced difficulties after joining war against terrorism. Some foreigners who were living in Afghanistan in the past have entered Pakistan. They are not happy with our support to America. We know, these elements killed Daniel Pearl and French nationals," Haider said. "We know they were also behind attack on U.S. Consulate."
Nevertheless, Haider said Pakistan would continue to support the campaign against al-Qaida.