Bush resumes active schedule after checkup

Monday, July 1, 2002

WASHINGTON -- President Bush ran three miles and took a walk in the woods with the first lady Sunday at Camp David, resuming an active schedule after his colon screening.

The president and Laura Bush also attended church services at the chapel at the presidential retreat in western Maryland.

"I feel great," Bush said shortly after his Marine One helicopter landed on the South Lawn of the White House.

"I got up this morning and went for a nice run, went to church."

He said that because results of the checkup showed no danger signs, he does not have to undergo a colon test for another five years.

"I also recommend this procedure for anyone over 50," the president said. "They say it will help reduce the chances of colon cancer. ... It is necessary and worth it."

Bush, who faces a busy week of travel, was to speak Monday in Cleveland about his domestic agenda. The city was the subject of last week's Supreme Court decision approving private-school vouchers, even for schools operated by churches. Bush supports the taxpayer subsidies.

Bush schedule ahead

A trip to Milwaukee on Tuesday is intended to highlight Bush's efforts to involve religious groups in the administration of welfare programs.

On Wednesday, the president and first lady are taking part in a White House ceremony anticipating next year's 200th anniversary of the Lewis and Clark cross-continent expedition.

The Bushes are to be in Ripley, W.Va., on Thursday for a July Fourth celebration, where veterans will be honored.

The week of activity comes after a routine colon screening Saturday morning that led Bush to transfer his presidential authority to Vice President Dick Cheney for 2 1/4 hours.

The checkup found no polyps or other abnormalities. Air Force Col. Richard Tubb, the president's physician, said the chief executive "continues to be in outstanding health."

It was only the second time in history that the Constitution's presidential disability clause had been invoked. Bush was sedated during the 20-minute procedure. Although it is considered a routine checkup the president said he had authorized the power transfer as a precaution because of the war on terror.

The procedure, a colonoscopy, was done at Camp David's medical facility.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: