- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Neighbors mystified over why man was killed by state trooper (05/03/16)20
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- 'American Pickers' visits Poplar Bluff (04/29/16)
Travis Smith will take Kile's spot
The Cardinals will recall rookie right-hander Travis Smith before the weekend to take the place of Darryl Kile in the rotation.
Smith, who was 3-4 with a 1.75 ERA at Triple-A Memphis, was already in uniform on Thursday and manager Tony La Russa said, "I know he's pitching Saturday." But the team had not made the move official.
"There's not a lot to say about the situation," Smith, 29, said. "I'll just do the best I can."
Smith said the Memphis Redbirds were devastated by the death of Kile, 33, Saturday. The Cardinals held a memorial service for the pitcher Wednesday.
"I wasn't here when it all happened, but we took it the same down there," Smith said.