- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)47
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
Out of the past 6/26/02
10 years ago: June 26, 1992
Long-standing debate over whether to elect Cape Girardeau City Council members from wards rather than at large has resurfaced; Larry Godfrey, unsuccessful council candidate earlier this year, has initiated petition drive asking that council change to ward elections.
East Cape Girardeau, Ill. - Strong winds and heavy rains night before left members of this Illinois community cleaning up extensive tree and limb damage yesterday; there was minor damage to gutters and roofs on several homes in village; part of roof was blown off Word of Life Fellowship church building, but none of four people inside at time was injured.
25 years ago: June 26, 1977
Congregations of Maple Avenue United Methodist Church and Hobbs Chapel hold basket dinner in evening for pastor and his wife, the Rev. and Mrs. William Sherman; pastor has been reassigned to the congregations for coming church year.
Reunion, first ever, will be held July 30 for all former students and teachers at old Fornfelt School; Rip Sherfield, spokesman for group, says more than 600 people have returned letters indicating that they will attend event, which is to be held at Howard Johnson's Racquet Room.
50 years ago: June 26, 1952
Plans to open municipal swimming pool in Capaha Park are canceled because of drain on reservoir serving city after water had started to flow into pool last midnight; reservoir has been losing about three feet per day during current heat wave and drought.
Southeast Missouri Kennel Club, to forward interest in purebred dogs and to conduct dog shows in Cape Girardeau, was recently organized; charter members of club are Mr. and Mrs. Oliver Ray of Unity, Ill., Mr. and Mrs. M.N. Kinder and Mrs. Eleanor Bolton of Chaffee, Mr. and Mrs. Clifton Banta of Charleston, Mrs. W.A. Thompson, Dorothy Lorimier, Ben Griffaw, Mr. and Mrs. Jack Starkweather and Mr. and Mrs. A.M. Tinker, all of Cape Girardeau.
75 years ago: June 26, 1927
Union worship services will be held at Courthouse Park Sunday evenings during July and August as in previous years; First Baptist Church and Centenary Methodist Church will conduct their own services during July because of large number of students at Teachers College belonging to these denominations, but will join union enterprise during August.
Number of Catholic priests of Perry County are attending annual retreat at Kenrick Seminary at St. Louis; among those attending are the Revs. J.M. Huber of Perryville, T. Alyward of Silver Lake, G.V. Hoehn of Biehle, A.H. Toebben of Apple Creek and W.V. Roche of Sereno.
- Sharon K. Sanders