- Jackson man to cast electoral vote for Trump; others trying to dissuade him (11/29/16)51
- Man killed by vehicle had been charged with domestic assault (11/30/16)
- Former Cape council member dies, remembered as 'wonderful public servant' (11/29/16)1
- Post-election taunts reported at Jackson schools (12/2/16)25
- Woman accused in three robberies disguised herself as man (11/29/16)5
- Business notebook: New store shows faith in Scott City district (11/28/16)
- Burglary suspect apprehended inside Jackson garage (12/4/16)
- Missouri chamber to honor Cape's John Mehner (11/30/16)6
- Poplar Bluff man accused of enticement, child porn in Scott County sting operation (12/4/16)
- Men who pulled father, son from burning car near Naylor honored by highway patrol (12/1/16)
Bomb dropped on Canadians blamed on procedural error
WASHINGTON -- The U.S. Air National Guard F-16 pilot who mistakenly bombed Canadian soldiers in Afghanistan in April did not follow proper procedures to ensure that his target was hostile, U.S. officials said Wednesday.
The officials said it was possible the pilot would face judicial action, likely an Article 32 hearing under the Uniform Code of Military Justice. Such a hearing is similar to a civilian grand jury.
A joint American-Canadian investigation, which included interviews with more than 70 people, concluded that the pilot, Maj. Harry Schmidt of the Illinois Air National Guard, acted in haste in dropping a 500-pound bomb on the Canadians, the officials said. They spoke on condition that they not be identified.
Schmidt told investigators he believed he was under attack from the ground and fired in self defense.
The findings of the investigation have yet to be reviewed by senior U.S. military officers, including Army Gen. Tommy Franks, commander of the U.S. Central Command, and the commander of Central Command air forces, Lt. Gen. Michael Moseley.
The preliminary findings were first reported in Wednesday's editions of The New York Times.