- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)45
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)36
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
FanSpeak for Sunday, June 16
No more fields
CAPE GIRARDEAU needs many things, but the one thing it doesn't need is another ball diamond.
MY HAT is off to coach Mark Hogan and the Southeast baseball team. They won the OVC, won the OVC conference tournament and beat Alabama in the postseason. Gaining exposure time and time again on ESPN and other national media outlets is invaluable to the university. And all of this, even though Southeast's administration, all too willing to take credit for the Indians' success, dropped the ball by not allowing the team to take full advantage of its scholarship opportunities.
A good ending
IT WAS good to see Mike Tyson lose. Maybe this will get him off TV and out of the papers for a while.
All about athletics
I WAS talking to a parent who sends their child to a private school. The only reason they were going to that school was so that their son would the member of an athletic team at a very successful school and had more scouts look at him. She said the only reason they went there was for the athletics. I asked what caused her to be interested in that school to begin with. She said it was when some of their booster club members talked to them about their son going there. I said, so he was kind of recruited. She said, "Oh yes, very much so." This new law by the state is going to finally make things fair.
Ideas for the Caps
MAYBE THE Capahas should try advertising some different promotions to get fans out to their games. Then it would at least be like a minor-league game atmosphere. We could use that here.