- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)42
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
Fire kills 83-year-old woman
SPRINGFIELD, Mo. -- A house fire killed an 83-year-old woman who lived there, Springfield fire chief Dan Whisler said.
David Brown, an investigator with the Greene County Medical Examiner's office, identified the woman as Roberta Shortino.
Shortino, who neighbors said lived at the home with her daughter, was alone at the time of the fire, about 8:45 p.m. Friday, Brown said.
Whisler said he would not speculate on the cause of the blaze until the investigation was complete.
The fire, which was reported by neighbors who saw smoke coming from the house, appears to have started in a room on the northwest corner of the home.
Most of the fire damage was concentrated in that area, but the remainder of the home suffered heavy damage from smoke and water.