- Cape man gets 8 years for robbery, his first offense (12/7/16)9
- 3 students in custody for violent threat; no details released (12/9/16)15
- Abuse suspect tries to take cop's gun; officer zaps him with Taser and punches his face (12/7/16)3
- Group seeks to create a neighborhood park on Cape Girardeau's south side (12/7/16)14
- Man sentenced to 103 years for murder of Cape woman (12/6/16)4
- Cape may allow residents to keep chickens; residents at meeting push for measure (12/6/16)34
- Poplar Bluff man accused of enticement, child porn in Scott County sting operation (12/4/16)
- Burglary suspect apprehended inside Jackson garage (12/4/16)
- Company to start recruiting businesses to Jackson, Cape (12/9/16)14
- 13 venues, 60 sponsors participating in Happy Slapowitz's Toy Bash on Thursday (12/7/16)2
Winona Ryder pleads innocent to theft, drug charges
BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. (AP) -- Winona Ryder pleaded innocent Friday to shoplifting and drug charges.
The actress, who co-stars in the upcoming Adam Sandler comedy "Mr. Deeds," was arraigned in Beverly Hills Superior Court. She's charged with second-degree burglary, grand theft, vandalism and possession of a controlled substance.
Ryder faces a maximum of about three years and eight months in state prison if convicted on all charges. She remains free on $20,000 bail.
A store security official testified during a preliminary hearing last week that she saw the 30-year-old actress cutting security sensor tags off the items, and a criminalist testified that two pills found in Ryder's possession were a generic form of Percoset, a prescription painkiller.
Superior Court Judge Elden Fox said then that there was sufficient cause for her to be tried.