- 3 charged with burglarizing Scott City bar (10/14/16)4
- Shooting injures two people in Cape early Tuesday (10/19/16)34
- Perry County: A great place to find home away from home (10/14/16)
- Tours provide a glimpse of Cape Girardeau's supposedly haunted past (10/17/16)1
- Cape Girardeau County: A great place to grab a bite (10/14/16)2
- 'I feel for them' (10/20/16)1
- 18-year-old killed in one-car crash Thursday morning (10/21/16)1
- Benton man accused of statutory rape, selling pot (10/20/16)1
- Three weeks and then what? (10/18/16)2
- Suspected attacker of Southeast student apprehended (10/19/16)5
Memphis police arrest suspect, seek another in shooting
MEMPHIS, Tenn. -- Police charged a man Thursday with first-degree murder in the death of a 3-year-old girl who was among nine people shot after an argument over drugs.
George Willie Franklin, 24, turned himself into authorities Thursday, police spokeswoman LaTanya Able said. A warrant was issued for his cousin, Leslie Franklin, 22.
The two suspects were among a group of young men arguing over drugs Wednesday, police said. One man broke from the argument and ran to a nearby house. A vehicle chased him, and one person got out and started shooting into a house.
Bullets blasted through a door and window, and at least three bullet holes could be seen in the brick on the front of the house.
The girl, Jessica Borner, was shot in the stomach, forearm and shoulder, one witness said. Five other children and three adults were injured. An unidentified woman remained hospitalized in satisfactory condition Thursday.
Police said one of the victims was Jessica's 59-year-old grandmother, Beatrice Hobbs, who was shot in the chest.
Another of the injured, a 19-year-old man, was being investigated for possible involvement in the drug deal, police said.