- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)36
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
Military digest 06/03/02
Private completes Army basic training
Pvt. Christopher Valentine has completed Army basic training at Fort Leonard Wood, Mo. He will remain at Fort Leonard Wood for advanced individual training and will be stationed out of Perryville, Mo., with the Army National Guard.
He is the son of David and Linda Valentine of Jackson, Mo., and grandson of Hubert and Alberta Ross of Jackson.
Marine finishes basic training in San Diego
Marine Corps Pfc. William T. Stearns recently completed basic training at Marine Corps Recruit Depot in San Diego, Calif.
Stearns, son of Judy K. Smith of Jackson, and William R. Stearns of Jackson, is a 2000 graduate of Jackson High School.
Corporal participates in special exercise
Marine Corps Lance Cpl. Andrew J. Seiler recently participated in exercise "Sea Soldier '02" while assigned to the 13th Marine Expeditionary Unit, based at Camp Pendleton, Calif.
The exercise was a two-week, live-fire training exercise.
Seiler, son of Leonard G. Seiler of Oak Ridge, Mo., and Suzanne J. Jones of San Bernardino, Calif., is a graduate of San Bernardino High School, and joined the Marine Corps in November 1998.
Private completes Marine basic training
Marine Corps Pvt. Brian T. Blattel recently completed 12 weeks of basic training at Marine Corps Recruit Depot, Parris Island, S.C.
Blattel, son of Tom M. and Cathy M. Blattel, of Chaffee, Mo., is a 2000 graduate of Notre Dame Regional High School.
Anna man takes part in training in Jordan
Marine Corps gunnery Sgt. John B. Hankins of Anna, Ill., recently participated in exercise Infinite Anvill in the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan. He was assigned to the 22nd Marine Expeditionary Unit, based in Camp LeJeune, N.C.
Hankins, a 1980 graduate of Galatia High School in Galatia, Ill., joined the Marines in May 1987. He is the son of Charles M. and Jean Hankins of Anna.
Cape man reports to Navy nuclear command
Navy Lt. j.g. Jeremy R. Freeman, son of Kent Freeman of Cape Girardeau, recently reported for duty at Naval Nuclear Power Training Command at Goose Creek, S.C.
Freeman, a 1995 graduate of Cape Central High School joined the Navy in May 1999. He is a 1999 graduate of U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis, Md.
Cape Marine deployed to combat center
Marine Pfc. John W. Keene of Cape Girardeau was recently deployed to a combined arms exercise at Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center, Twentynine Palms, Calif.
Keene, son of Dickie J. and Debbie K. Keene of Cape Girardeau is a 2000 graduate of Cape Central High School. He joined the Marines in March 2001.
Jackson woman done with weapons course
Navy seaman Sondra L. Werner, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Erie Werner of Jackson, recently graduated from a 27-week close-in weapons system operation and maintenance course while assigned to the Atlantic Fleet Combat Training Center at Virginia Beach, Va.
Werner is a 2000 graduate of Mechanicsburg Area Senior High School in Mechanicsburg, Pa., and joined the Navy in August 2000.
-- From staff reports