- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Ray's of Kelso, Plaza by Ray's to change ownership; Fonn to buy enterprise (04/20/16)3
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Cape council approves nearly $1M in park, sculpture projects with little public discussion (04/22/16)37
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
Military digest 5/31/02
Marine completes basic training
Marine Corps Pfc William T. Stearns recently completed basic training at Marine Corps Recruit Depot at San Diego, Calif.
Stearns, the son of Judy K. Smith of Jackson, Mo., and William R. Stearns of Jackson, is a 2000 graduate of Jackson High School.
Area man completes submarine course
Navy fireman apprentice Joshua K. Moran recently graduated from the basic enlisted submarine course at the Naval submarine school in Groton, Conn.
Moran, son of Jack and Beverly Brewington of Perryville, Mo., is a 2000 graduate of Perryville High School. He joined the Navy in November.
Perryville Marine graduates basic course
Marine Corps Pfc Bernie M. Riehn, son of Ladonna K. and Mike A. Riehn of Perryville, Mo., recently graduated from the basic hygiene equipment operators course at Marine Corps. engineer school, Marine Corps Base Camp at LeJeune, N.C. Riehn joined the Marines in August.
Anna man takes part in training in Jordan
Marine Corps gunnery Sgt. John B. Hankins of Anna, Ill., recently participated in exercise Infinite Anvill in the Hashimite Kingdom of Jordan. He was assigned to the 22nd Marine Expeditionary Unit, based in Camp LeJeune, N.C.
Hankins, a 1980 graduate of Galatia High school, Galatia, Ill., joined the Marines in May 1987. He is the son of Charles M. and Jean Hankins of Anna.
Cape man reports to nuclear command
Navy Lt. j.g. Jeremy R. Freeman, son of Kent Freeman of Cape Girardeau, recently reported for duty at Naval Nuclear Power Training Command at Goose Creek, S.C.
Freeman, a 1995 graduate of Cape Central High School joined the Navy in May 1999. He is a 1999 graduate of U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis, Md.
Cape Marine deployed to combat center
Marine Pfc John W. Keene of Cape Girardeau was recently deployed to a combined arms exercise at Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center, Twentynine Palms, Calif.
Keene, son of Dickie J. and Debbie K. Keene of Cape Girardeau, is a 2000 graduate of Cape Central High School. He joined the Marines in March 2001.
Werner completes weapons training
Navy seaman Sondra L. Werner, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Erie Werner of Jackson, Mo., recently graduated from a 27-week close-in weapons system operation and maintenance course while assigned to the Atlantic Fleet Combat Training Center at Virginia Beach, Va.
Werner is a 2000 graduate of Mechanicsburg Area Senior High School in Mechanicsburg, Pa., and joined the Navy in August 2000.
-- From staff reports