- Cape teacher accused of assaulting student at football game (10/23/16)41
- Pedestrian killed during traffic collision on I-55 (10/23/16)9
- Scott County Sheriff Rick Walter faces challenge from criminal investigator Wes Drury (10/21/16)9
- 18-year-old killed in one-car crash Thursday morning (10/21/16)1
- One issue reveals Clinton's character (10/25/16)20
- Man arrested after dispute at school spurs brief lockdown (10/21/16)6
- One victim IDs his attacker in shooting that killed woman (10/25/16)1
- 'I feel for them' (10/20/16)1
- Hundreds turn out for VintageNOW fundraiser (10/23/16)3
- R.P. Lumber chain buys Southeast Missouri Builders Supply in Cape (10/25/16)7
Maryland salutes people in uniform with discounts
ANNAPOLIS, Md. -- Four weeks of discounts for military, police, fire and emergency medical services workers will be offered by Maryland businesses to thank those who work to protect the nation.
Salute to the Services began May 18 with a parade of classic cars and hot rods on the Ocean City boardwalk. It will end there June 14 with a Flag Day celebration.
About 250 businesses statewide are participating, offering perks such as two-for-one entrance to the Babe Ruth Museum in Baltimore, discounts for the Hagerstown Speedway, and all-day fishing trips on Calvert County charter boats.
The event centers on Ocean City, where about 100 businesses are taking part, including hotels, restaurants, stores and golf courses.
Promotional materials were sent to military bases and police stations within a half-day's drive of Ocean City, including those in Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Delaware and New York.
Wal-Mart gets into roadside assistance
BENTONVILLE, Ark. -- Wal-Mart is getting into the roadside assistance business.
Working with TracFone Wireless Inc., the retail giant will offer 24-hour roadside assistance that customers will be able to purchase at 2,600 stores.
For about $50 annually, customers will be covered for five family members in the United States and Canada.
For service, motorists will call a toll-free number.
TracFone Wireless Inc. is a leader in the wireless network industry.
The roadside assistance includes flat-tire changes, towing up to 30 miles, battery jump-starts, fuel delivery, vehicle lock-outs and accident assistance.
--From wire reports