- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)42
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
5-year-old accidentally kills woman
NEWTON, Ill. -- A 32-year-old woman died of a gunshot wound when a 5-year-old child she was caring for shot her.
Jasper County Sheriff Ed Francis said Kevin Graves found the body of his wife, Tamera L. Graves, before 1 a.m. Friday. The sheriff would not name the child or comment on any family relationship between the woman and child.
Francis said Kevin Graves left for his job in Effingham around 3 p.m. Thursday and left his wife caring for 5-year-old and 2-year-old boys.
An autopsy found that the woman died of a single 9 mm gunshot wound to the chest, Francis said. An initial investigation determined the shooting was an accident, he said.
Both children are staying with relatives. Francis said he does not expect authorities to file criminal charges.