- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
Registration ending for summer arts classes
Eleven courses for children and adults will be offered this year in a program sponsored by the Arts Council of Southeast Missouri and Target Stores.
The deadline for registration for the first three classes in the following list is today. The registration deadline for the other classes is May 31. For information, phone the arts council at 334-9233.
Titled Take Aim on Target's Summer Arts Classes, the program begins Tuesday with the "Soulful Cup" Workshop for Women. Designed for ages 18 and up, the class incorporates the arts and creative exercises designed to encourage creativity through the appreciation of other women artists, body movement, writing and vocal expression.
The class meets Tuesdays and Thursday for three weeks from 7 to 10 p.m.
Other classes are:
* Sidewalk Chalk, in which students will draw on concrete. Ages 12 to 18. June 3 to 7, 9 a.m. to noon.
* Mural Painting. The completed mural will be displayed on arts council building at 119 Independence St. Ages 12 to 18. June 3 to 7, 1 to 3 p.m.
* Watercolor Basics for Young Adults. Ages 13 to 18. June 10 to 14, 10 a.m. to noon. Meets in Room 306, Serena Building.
* Watercolor Painting for Adults. Ages 18 and up. June 10 to 14, 1:30 to 4:30 p.m. Meets in Room 306, Serena Building.
* Charcoal Drawing, in which students focus on individual expression and development of techniques while creating original compositions. Ages 12 to 18. June 17 to 24, 9 a.m. to noon. Meets in Room 306, Serena Building.
* Kindermusik: Creatures in My Backyard, in which students sing, move and create while learning about animal friends. Ages 1 1/2 to 4. June 17 to 21, 9:30 to 10:30 a.m. Parent or caregiver must be present.
* Kindermusik: Around the World, which takes children on an international journey through music, movement and artistic activities. Ages 4 to 7. June 17 to 21, 12:30 to 3:30 p.m.
* Hand Built Clay Modeling. Students will experiment with techniques of handling clay. Ages 12 to 18. June 17 to 21, 12:30 to 3 p.m. Class meets at Room 29, Memorial Hall.
* Clay Modeling. Students will work with firing clay and creating three-dimensional forms. June 24 to 28, 1 to 3 p.m. Ages 8 to 11. Meets at Room 29, Memorial Hall.
* Drawing Technique. Students will experiment with drawing methods to practice the basics of drawing, composition, positive and negative space, contrast, value, shading and texture. July 8 to 12, 1 to 3 p.m. Ages 10 to 18. Meets at Room 306, Serena Building.