Fema aid to cover flooding losses

Wednesday, May 22, 2002

Residents and business owners in some Missouri counties can seek additional federal aid to cover flooding losses under an amended disaster declaration.

The declaration was issued May 6, after storms and tornadoes struck the southeastern part of the state. The Federal Emergency Management Agency on Tuesday extended the declaration to include damage to private and public property from recent floods.

Residents and business owners in the following counties who sustained flood damage are eligible to apply: Bollinger, Butler, Cape Girardeau, Carter, Crawford, Dent, Douglas, Jefferson, Howell, Iron, Madison, Oregon, Ozark, Perry, Reynolds, Ripley, Shannon, St. Francois, Ste. Geneieve, Stoddard and Wayne counties.

The assistance includes grants to help pay for temporary housing, emergency home repairs and other serious disaster-related expenses. Low-interest loans from the U.S. Small Business Administration also will be available to help cover losses.

Tornado and flood victims may apply for assistance by calling (800) 621-FEMA between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m. seven days a week. Those with speech or hearing impairments may call (800) 462-7585.

-- From staff and wire reports

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: