- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)41
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)20
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
SIKESTON, Mo. - Sophia Martinez, 73, of Sikeston died Sunday, May 19, 2002, at Southeast Missouri Hospital in Cape Girardeau.
She was born April 10, 1929, in Converse, Texas, daughter of Cercenio and Yisdar Garcia Guzman. She was married to Jessie Joseph Sauceda. He preceded her in death April 3, 2002.
Martinez worked as a housekeeper at Bear County Hospital in Bear County, Texas, before retiring.
Survivors include five sons, Robert Guzman, Fidel "Peppe", Danny, Joseph Jr., and Johnny Sauceda, all of Sikeston; three daughters, Mary Berry of Conroe, Texas, Juanita Terry and Ellie Sauceda of Sikeston; three brothers, Arnold and Raymond Guzman of Oran, Mo., and Margarito Guzman of Morley, Mo; four sisters, Alberta Martinez of Sister, Texas, Delores Rosa of Lubbock Texas, Hope Fuentes of Grand Rapids, Mich., and Sarah Miller of Sikeston; 41 grandchildren; and 29 great-grandchildren.
She was preceded in death by her parents, two sons, a brother, and four sisters.
Friends may call from 5 to 8 p.m. today at Ponder Funeral Home in Sikeston.
Funeral will be at 2 p.m. Wedneday at the funeral home with the Rev. Jerry Adams officiating. Burial will be in New Morley Cemetery.