- Cape teacher accused of assaulting student at football game (10/23/16)41
- Pedestrian killed during traffic collision on I-55 (10/23/16)9
- Scott County Sheriff Rick Walter faces challenge from criminal investigator Wes Drury (10/21/16)8
- Shooting injures two people in Cape early Tuesday (10/19/16)34
- 18-year-old killed in one-car crash Thursday morning (10/21/16)1
- Man arrested after dispute at school spurs brief lockdown (10/21/16)6
- 'I feel for them' (10/20/16)1
- Hundreds turn out for VintageNOW fundraiser (10/23/16)3
- Crews are working on the new Drury Hotel (10/21/16)4
- Benton man accused of statutory rape, selling pot (10/20/16)1
SIKESTON, Mo. - Sophia Martinez, 73, of Sikeston died Sunday, May 19, 2002, at Southeast Missouri Hospital in Cape Girardeau.
She was born April 10, 1929, in Converse, Texas, daughter of Cercenio and Yisdar Garcia Guzman. She was married to Jessie Joseph Sauceda. He preceded her in death April 3, 2002.
Martinez worked as a housekeeper at Bear County Hospital in Bear County, Texas, before retiring.
Survivors include five sons, Robert Guzman, Fidel "Peppe", Danny, Joseph Jr., and Johnny Sauceda, all of Sikeston; three daughters, Mary Berry of Conroe, Texas, Juanita Terry and Ellie Sauceda of Sikeston; three brothers, Arnold and Raymond Guzman of Oran, Mo., and Margarito Guzman of Morley, Mo; four sisters, Alberta Martinez of Sister, Texas, Delores Rosa of Lubbock Texas, Hope Fuentes of Grand Rapids, Mich., and Sarah Miller of Sikeston; 41 grandchildren; and 29 great-grandchildren.
She was preceded in death by her parents, two sons, a brother, and four sisters.
Friends may call from 5 to 8 p.m. today at Ponder Funeral Home in Sikeston.
Funeral will be at 2 p.m. Wedneday at the funeral home with the Rev. Jerry Adams officiating. Burial will be in New Morley Cemetery.