- Compliance check results in underage citations at four Cape bars (7/19/17)1
- Isle Casino to host wide-ranging career fair Wednesday (7/16/17)
- Lying police? Missing files, lost evidence: Newspaper investigation reveals glaring details in David Robinson case (7/16/17)2
- Buffalo Wild Wings to hold fundraiser Wednesday for ailing Cape officer (7/19/17)1
- 49-year-old homicide victim found in Cape (7/20/17)
- Sikeston detective's files about murder suspect missing from DPS (7/18/17)1
- Witnesses make claims of officer corruption in Box/Robinson case (7/17/17)1
- Cape city, civic leaders unveil downtown trolley service (7/14/17)6
- Park official: 5-year-old girl nearly drowns at Cape Splash, taken to hospital (7/12/17)4
- Business notebook: Jackson boutique has regional roots in retail (7/17/17)
Fugitive Tennesse murderer caught 32 years after her escape
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- A convicted murderer has been captured in Ohio nearly 32 years after she escaped from prison, authorities said Monday.
Margo Freshwater, 53, was arrested Sunday afternoon in Columbus by special agents of the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation with help from the Columbus Police Department and the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation, authorities said.
Police did not immediately give details about how they tracked her down.
Freshwater escape from the Tennessee Prison for Women on Oct. 4, 1970. She escaped when she "broke formation" and scaled a single perimeter fence, Department of Correction authorities said.
She had been serving 99 years for the first-degree murder of a Memphis liquor store clerk.
She was one of the original fugitives placed on the TBI's original Most Wanted list on May 5, 1993, and is the 104th person apprehended since the program's inception.
Freshwater was the only woman on the TBI's top 10 list and she was one of only four female escaped convicts still sought. According to the Department of Correction Web site, only two other Tennessee prison escapees have been missing longer, one since 1957 and the other since 1965.
Freshwater was being held in the Franklin County, Ohio, jail.
On the Net:
TBI site on Freshwater: http://www.tbi.state.tn.us/Fugitives/fwater.htm
Tenn. Dept. of Corrections: http://www.state.tn.us/correction/escapees/escapees.html