- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Ray's of Kelso, Plaza by Ray's to change ownership; Fonn to buy enterprise (04/20/16)3
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Cape council approves nearly $1M in park, sculpture projects with little public discussion (04/22/16)37
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
Essners celebrate 50 years
John A. and Ina Essner of Cape Girardeau celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary April 27, 2002.
An anniversary Mass was held at St. Mary's Cathedral with Msgr. Richard Rolwing officiating. A dinner, reception and dance followed at Route 25 Banquet Hall in Jackson, Mo.
Essner and Ina Jean Burger were married April 19, 1952, at St. Augustine Catholic Church in Kelso, Mo., by the Rev. Joseph Keusenkothen.
Their attendants were Betty Burger Raines, sister of the bride; Herman Essner, brother of the groom; and Butch and Alene Heisserer.
Mr. and Mrs. Essner and family founded Southeast Missouri Building Supply after purchasing the property of the former Southeast Missouri Lumber Co. They are members of St. Mary's Cathedral.
The couple has 12 children and 26 grandchildren. Their children and spouses are: John L. and Jill Essner and Steve and Hope Essner of Cape Girardeau, Mary Essner, SSND, of Waterloo, Ill., Jim and Sharon Essner, Tom and Becki Essner, Alan and Denise Essner, Jane and Wayne Wilson, Chris and Sandi Essner, Roger and Donna Essner, Greg and Kim Essner, Keith Essner and Susan Essner , all of Cape Girardeau.