- Cape teacher accused of assaulting student at football game (10/23/16)41
- Pedestrian killed during traffic collision on I-55 (10/23/16)9
- Scott County Sheriff Rick Walter faces challenge from criminal investigator Wes Drury (10/21/16)8
- Shooting injures two people in Cape early Tuesday (10/19/16)34
- 18-year-old killed in one-car crash Thursday morning (10/21/16)1
- Man arrested after dispute at school spurs brief lockdown (10/21/16)6
- 'I feel for them' (10/20/16)1
- Hundreds turn out for VintageNOW fundraiser (10/23/16)3
- Crews are working on the new Drury Hotel (10/21/16)4
- Benton man accused of statutory rape, selling pot (10/20/16)1
Country cottage appeal
One of my favorite books to read to my two daughters is a story about a little girl who lives in a house known as "Ivy Cottage." The home, of course, gets its name from the fact that it is covered with ivy, emerging from the woods in a magical and unexpected way.
The home at 2808 Oakshire Circle in Tanglewood Estates brought that story to mind, and if the charm of an ivy cottage appeals to you, you might want to stop by the open house from 1 to 3 p.m. today.
While the house itself is a traditional home, vinyl siding with charming red shutters, it is in a wooded setting. It sits on almost an acre, with the backyard wooded, and like my favorite story, is covered in ivy.
The home itself is equally as charming, with many almost story-book touches. The home is decorated with soft, light colors, and lots of green trim bringing the coolness of the ivy inside, also.
The kitchen features oak cabinets, a green countertop laminate, and a large double sink. A bay window in the kitchen looks out on that lovely ivy view. The dining room features soft green decor and charming chair rails along the walls, and a brass and frosted glass chandelier.
The bedrooms also feature many interesting points, like porcelain pulls on the closet doors, with dainty little roses painted on them. A rose marble-like vanity is found in the bathroom.
The master bedroom is generously sized, and features both his and her closets. The master bath is blessed with a large vanity, giving ample room for cosmetics. A shower and whirlpool bathtub are also added amenities.
One of my favorite rooms, and my daughter Amy's favorite room, was the children's television or play room, which featured a wood tongue-and-groove ceiling, giving a treehouse feeling. A cedar-lined storage closet with a smaller than usual door grabbed Amy's attention, making her think of all the possibilities this house would have for secret hiding places.
Even the laundry room is charming, with a window to let in the cheerful light of the day while doing household chores. The two-car garage is also extremely neat and well-organized.
Outside the home are a number of imaginative features, also, including small foot bridges that lead into the woods, and an above-ground pool, perfect for relaxation.
This four-bedroom, three-bathroom ivy cottage is only about 12 years old, and is priced at $168,900. It is available for viewing through Coldwell Banker Hamilton Realty, 334-1818.