- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)48
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
Deputy surprised by what he finds in man's mouth
LaPORTE, Ind. -- A LaPorte County sheriff's deputy who checked on a passed-out, snoring man near the sheriff's department's front desk says he found a mouthful of evidence when he tried to awaken him: small bags containing "rocks" of cocaine.
In plain view inside the man's mouth were two clear, plastic bags with several smaller bags inside them containing a substance that later tested positive for cocaine, the sheriff's department said.
Deputies roused Edward O. Green by repeatedly shaking him and speaking loudly. The 24-year-old Calumet City, Ill., man was arrested on preliminary counts of public intoxication and possession of cocaine.
A sheriff's report said Green came to the department's front desk early Friday to post bail money for someone in jail. He was asked to take a seat until someone could help him.
Green sat on a bench seat and passed out moments later, snoring loudly and slumping against a wall with his mouth open, the report said.
When Deputy Andy Hynek tried to awaken Green, he noticed alcohol on Green's breath and the bags inside his mouth, the report said.
Fearing Green might choke on the bags, Hynek put on latex gloves and fished the bags out of Green's mouth.
Green was released from jail Friday on bond.
He could not be reached for comment. There is no phone listing for Green in Calumet City.