- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Man accused of pointing BB gun at Chaffee resident (04/26/16)2
Four reported dead in pileup
JOPLIN, Mo. -- Four people died and eight were injured in a multi-vehicle pileup Saturday morning on Interstate 44, Jasper County medical authorities said.
No immediate report of the number of vehicles involved was available from the Missouri State Highway Patrol, but Springfield radio station KTTS reported that seven tractor-trailers and six other vehicles appeared to be involved.
Jasper County coroner Ron Mosbaugh confirmed the number of fatalities and said two of the injured were in critical condition. The victims' names were not immediately released.
As of midafternoon Saturday, traffic was still shut down in the westbound lanes of the interstate at the accident site, 12 miles east of the Oklahoma line.
Eastbound traffic was limited to one lane.