- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)31
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
Three killed in house fire started by children
DIAMOND, Mo. -- A couple and a child were killed Thursday in a fire that investigators said was started by children playing with matches.
Gary Patrick, 38, Teresa Patrick, 31, and 11-year-old Kelsee Anderson died in the blaze at the home on Missouri 59 near Diamond. Kelsee was the daughter of Teresa Patrick and stepdaughter of Gary Patrick. When firefighters arrived, the home was engulfed in flames. One adult and four other children escaped the house, said fire chief Mark Garbet, who did not know the relationships of all those in the house.
The Patricks were in a back bedroom and Kelsee was in another bedroom. Firefighters were unable to rescue them because of the intense fire, Garbet said.
Garbet said it was the first fatal house fire in the Diamond area in at least 10 years. He said the tragedy underscored the dangers of children playing with matches.
A Newton County paramedic suffered a minor foot injury while she was helping at the scene, Garbet said.