- Deputies: Man, woman tried to arrange killing of his estranged wife (5/21/17)1
- Cape fines contractor $1,100 a day for street-project delays; contractor blames utility relocations (5/18/17)13
- Former coroner convicted of felony theft now faces prison in misdemeanor case (5/23/17)2
- Cape police say man assaulted, kidnapped girlfriend (5/21/17)2
- Woman may lose foot after being hit by moped (5/24/17)
- Mississippi County sheriff fights efforts in court to remove him from office (5/21/17)4
- Business notebook: Woman, sister-in-law buy Perryville custom-wear shop (5/22/17)
- Cape man accused of shooting a woman in Jackson (5/21/17)
- Police apprehend Charleston man they say hit Cape woman with car (5/24/17)
- Broadening horizons: Heartland Dream Team founder stays committed to area youth (5/21/17)2
Heat wave in India kills 450
HYDERABAD, India -- The death toll from a heat wave in southern India has risen to 450, a relief official in sweltering Andhra Pradesh state said Thursday.
Fresh reports of deaths, mainly among the poor, elderly, and laborers such as agricultural workers and rickshaw pullers, pushed the official toll to 450 since May 10, said Jagdish Reddy, the state's assistant secretary of relief.
Temperatures were as high as 106 degrees Fahrenheit on Thursday along the coast of the Bay of Bengal, he said.