- Jackson man to cast electoral vote for Trump; others trying to dissuade him (11/29/16)51
- Man killed by vehicle had been charged with domestic assault (11/30/16)
- Hotel chain president: City should regulate short-term lodging (11/27/16)16
- Former Cape council member dies, remembered as 'wonderful public servant' (11/29/16)1
- Woman accused in three robberies disguised herself as man (11/29/16)5
- Post-election taunts reported at Jackson schools (12/2/16)22
- Officers: Delta man dies during domestic dispute (11/28/16)1
- Business notebook: New store shows faith in Scott City district (11/28/16)
- Missouri chamber to honor Cape's John Mehner (11/30/16)6
- Men who pulled father, son from burning car near Naylor honored by highway patrol (12/1/16)
SBC says it will cut 5,000 jobs
SAN ANTONIO -- SBC Communications Inc. said Tuesday that it will eliminate 5,000 more jobs, or 2.6 percent of its work force, because of the slow economy. The cuts come on top of the 10,000 positions already eliminated since the fall.
The telecommunications giant said the job reductions will be distributed throughout its 13-state service area and will involve both managers and non-management employees.
In midday trading on the New York Stock Exchange, SBC stock was up 90 cents.