- Few Southeast students face suspension, expulsion for sexual assaults, campus paper finds (4/25/17)5
- Perryville family organizing bone-marrow drive Friday for ailing 6-year-old boy (4/26/17)
- Woman battered after smashing boyfriend's meth pipe against wall, police say (4/25/17)1
- Pilot House goes smoke-free (4/23/17)10
- Temptations bassist dies after Cape Girardeau show (4/26/17)2
- Event includes the first public tour of 200-year-old Elmwood Manor (4/23/17)3
- BBB warns Jackson man's online business might not be legit (4/24/17)
- Cape couple turns their home into cozy, comfortable music venue (4/24/17)
- Cape councilman Bob Fox to run for mayor (4/21/17)5
- Sikeston man charged in shooting death of Cape man (4/23/17)
SBC says it will cut 5,000 jobs
SAN ANTONIO -- SBC Communications Inc. said Tuesday that it will eliminate 5,000 more jobs, or 2.6 percent of its work force, because of the slow economy. The cuts come on top of the 10,000 positions already eliminated since the fall.
The telecommunications giant said the job reductions will be distributed throughout its 13-state service area and will involve both managers and non-management employees.
In midday trading on the New York Stock Exchange, SBC stock was up 90 cents.