- How to save a life: Lifeguards resuscitated young girl at Cape Splash (8/17/17)2
- Woman's post about 'Back the Blue' sign in Jackson coffee shop prompts firing from nearby bar (8/15/17)11
- Chaffee man charged with attempting to have ex-wife killed (8/20/17)3
- Former Chaffee officer faces DWI charge (8/20/17)2
- Scott City school chief gets raise, while some teachers don't (8/17/17)6
- PBS crew filming in Cape; Glenn House to be featured (8/17/17)
- Jumbo size: Rhodes 101 sets a world record with 15-foot, 4,700 gallon drinking cup (8/21/17)3
- Scott City Council reinstates police chief (8/16/17)1
- Unions deliver signatures to block right-to-work in Missouri (8/20/17)40
- Woman dies in house fire in Cape Girardeau County (8/16/17)
SBC says it will cut 5,000 jobs
SAN ANTONIO -- SBC Communications Inc. said Tuesday that it will eliminate 5,000 more jobs, or 2.6 percent of its work force, because of the slow economy. The cuts come on top of the 10,000 positions already eliminated since the fall.
The telecommunications giant said the job reductions will be distributed throughout its 13-state service area and will involve both managers and non-management employees.
In midday trading on the New York Stock Exchange, SBC stock was up 90 cents.