- Krispy Kreme coming to Cape Girardeau (12/14/17)2
- Light and music show: Jackson family goes high-tech with Christmas display (12/11/17)
- Cape schools to get two new principals, assistant superintendent (12/13/17)1
- Former Wimpy's Drive-In owner Freeman Lewis dies (12/9/17)2
- Two Cape County residents, including former Jackson police officer, face burglary charges in Colorado (12/12/17)
- Jury convicts Scott City man who confessed to murder; girlfriend's testimony corroborates confession (12/9/17)
- Kelso resident brings home $60K in lottery winnings (12/14/17)
- Pedestrian struck on Broadway (12/11/17)4
- Wind brings down Wendy's sign in Cape Girardeau (12/11/17)2
- Feds ask judge to impose $6.5 million punishment for Cape surgeon (12/7/17)9
SBC says it will cut 5,000 jobs
SAN ANTONIO -- SBC Communications Inc. said Tuesday that it will eliminate 5,000 more jobs, or 2.6 percent of its work force, because of the slow economy. The cuts come on top of the 10,000 positions already eliminated since the fall.
The telecommunications giant said the job reductions will be distributed throughout its 13-state service area and will involve both managers and non-management employees.
In midday trading on the New York Stock Exchange, SBC stock was up 90 cents.