- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)42
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)23
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
Grants could help create 500 jobs for Southern Illinois
Rural Development has approved two grants to benefit Pulaski and Edwards counties.
The Southernmost Illinois Delta Empowerment Zone in Ullin will receive a grant for $150,000. These funds will be used to provide technical assistance and businesses support services to train, assist and advise businesses. This project will be supplemented with $50,100 in state and local funds allowing the creation of 40 new jobs.
The Southeastern Alliance of Illinois Inc. will receive a grant for $40,000. This award will be used for a variety of economic development activities in a nine-county area. This project represents a collaboration between developers and city officials. Supplemented with $57,476 from several state and local sources, this project could create 465 new jobs and assist 20 businesses in the area, according to state officials.