- Fatal-shooting victim ID'd; uncle said he tried to break up fight (9/29/16)30
- Driver charged with manslaughter in crash that killed 2 (9/27/16)
- Sister: Shooting victim died a hero (9/30/16)9
- Perryville couple arrested on felony drug charges after sting operation (9/29/16)
- Perryville High principal on leave; no reason given (9/28/16)9
- Video and evidence largely confirm trooper's claims in April traffic stop shooting (9/23/16)9
- Perryville man arrested for alleged patronizing prostitution, harassment (9/23/16)6
- Animal-rescue group receives grant from rock star for spay, neuter assistance (9/28/16)1
- Cape man may lose eye after shovel beating, police say (9/25/16)2
- Monia pleads guilty to 9 counts of financial exploitation of elderly; dealings with murderer Joseph clarified (9/28/16)11
Farewell Schultz, hello new opportunities
A fitting tribute and farewell to L.J. Schultz School was conducted this week. Last Sunday, former students, teachers and administrators gathered there to remember fondly and then say good-bye to a building that, after May, won't see students for the first time in 88 years.
There was a slide show and cake, but mostly there was good conversation and sharing about the fine school it was and the hardworking man who gave the school its name. Louis J. Schultz was a teacher, coach and superintendent in the district for 38 years. He died in 1968.
The building won't be used as a school anymore because the district is building a new Central High School. That means the current Central High School will become a junior high school, and the current Central Junior High School will house seventh-graders who would have attended Schultz.
To that end, the district is seeking donations to provide the extras at the new Central High School and equipment for other schools. To make donations of any amount to the Cape Girardeau Public Schools Foundation, contact Rich Payne, Mike Cowan or Terry Kitchen at 335-8228 or send checks payable to the foundation to Cape Girardeau Public Schools Foundation, P.O. Box 399, Cape Girardeau, Mo., 63702-0399.