- Marble Hill fires entire sewer department (8/23/16)4
- Witness says he saw man shoot Domorlo McCaster (8/19/16)2
- Students move into new fraternity housing at Southeast Missouri State University (8/18/16)2
- Southeast imposes 'interim suspension' of Sigma Nu fraternity over vandalism incident (8/19/16)21
- Ex-Southeast student gets probation for placing homemade sex video on porn site without woman's knowledge (8/24/16)10
- The Chrome Queens (8/21/16)2
- Pitmasters to descend on Arena Park for Cape BBQ Fest (8/19/16)2
- Logan's Roadhouse in Cape not closing; Ruby Tuesday fate still unknown (8/17/16)
- Local private school dreams bigger, plans for new building at Sprigg and Lexington (8/22/16)
- Gender-neutral restrooms now available at Southeast (8/18/16)38
Muslim nations differ on suicide bombings
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia -- Religious leaders from Muslim nations disagreed at a meeting this week over whether suicide bombings should be condemned.
The debate among religious affairs ministers of the Organization of the Islamic Conference echoed a March meeting of Muslim foreign ministers. They also were unable to agree on a definition of terrorism.
Malaysia's Deputy Prime Minister Abdullah Ahmad Badawi said Monday that holy war cannot be won with violence and that suicide bombings only serve to bolster the view that Palestinians are terrorists.
But Saudi Arabia's minister for Islam, Sheik Salleh Abdul Aziz Mohammed al-Sheik, said "the suicide bombings are permitted" and bombers "are considered to have died a martyr's death."
Presbyterian losses go on, but at a slower rate
LOUISVILLE, Ky. -- Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) headquarters announced Monday that a 35-year downward slide in membership continued in 2001, but the net loss of 31,549 was less than in previous years.
While total active membership slipped to 2,493,781, enrollment in Christian education programs rose by 17,000 during the year, to 1,101,478.
The Rev. Clifton Kirkpatrick, stated clerk of the denomination, noted that 150,000 new members joined the church last year.
--From wire reports