- Missing Jackson woman found dead in Bollinger County pond (06/23/16)2
- Many Jackson students may face random drug-testing (06/26/16)30
- Village of Zalma must disincorporate, law says (06/23/16)5
- Jackson man accused of felony assault after attack at Cape bar (06/26/16)7
- I want an angry president (06/21/16)17
- Coroner asks for grand jury in Poplar Bluff fatal hit-and-run case (06/28/16)
- Man allegedly kicks woman, punches man after denied a sexual favor (06/23/16)
- Witness says he saw suspect kill his best friend (06/24/16)
- Officials: Ash borer less of a problem here than in St. Louis (06/27/16)
- Business notebook: Melting Co. adds to Cape's food-truck fleet (06/27/16)
Award-winning volunteers set example
PMany have full-time jobs and still manage to vote several hours a week to community service.
What a terrific community we live in when 27 people are worthy of volunteer recognition from the United Way.
The organization held its annual Volunteer Recognition Awards Luncheon recently, honoring people who give freely of their time for the betterment of others' lives.
But five were singled out for special recognition.
There was Clara Delaney, who has volunteered with Mississippi Valley Therapeutic Horsemanship since it was started in 2001.
LaTanya Thomas has volunteered as a youth specialist for the Boys and Girls Club, based at the Civic Center in Cape Girardeau, since 1998. She spends 18 hours a week coaching girls basketball and mentoring club members.
Marge Engleman has been involved with the American Red Cross for 10 years, raising money and helping with disaster operations.
And Brian and JoAnn Barrett divide their time among the Girl Scouts, Mississippi Valley Therapeutic Horsemanship, Notre Dame High School and St. Vincent de Paul School.
But more than simply admiring these award winners for their heart and dedication, we should follow their example. Some of them have full-time jobs and still manage to fit in lots of volunteer service.
If everyone did the same, this community would be even a more terrific place to live.