- Few Southeast students face suspension, expulsion for sexual assaults, campus paper finds (4/25/17)5
- Perryville family organizing bone-marrow drive Friday for ailing 6-year-old boy (4/26/17)
- Woman battered after smashing boyfriend's meth pipe against wall, police say (4/25/17)1
- Pilot House goes smoke-free (4/23/17)10
- Temptations bassist dies after Cape Girardeau show (4/26/17)2
- Event includes the first public tour of 200-year-old Elmwood Manor (4/23/17)3
- BBB warns Jackson man's online business might not be legit (4/24/17)
- Cape couple turns their home into cozy, comfortable music venue (4/24/17)
- State Supreme Court rules against congressman's mother in dog-kennel defamation case (4/27/17)1
- Sikeston man charged in shooting death of Cape man (4/23/17)
Boston's Cardinal Law acknowledges pain of sexual abuse victims
Cardinal Bernard Law on Sunday acknowledged the anguish caused by the archdiocese's withdrawal from a settlement with 86 alleged victims of sexual abuse and said he would seek an "equitable solution."
In a rare, detailed accounting of the church's legal affairs, Law explained that the archdiocese's Finance Council had rejected the agreement because of what he called a "laudable" concern about the growing number of victims and the church's diminishing resources.
He disclosed that the number of additional sexual abuse claims against priests and the archdiocese had grown from 30 to 150 in recent weeks.
"I trust you can understand the disappointment, the anger and even the sense of fresh betrayal which may be in the hearts of the 86 persons," Law told parishioners at the Cathedral of the Holy Cross on Sunday.
"Nonetheless, I pray that, as time goes on, they may be willing to help in the framing of a wider settlement which can include the victims who have only recently come forward," he said.
The embattled cardinal did not apologize to the 86 Geoghan plaintiffs, all of whom signed the mediated settlement.
Protesters speak out
Outside the cathedral, demonstrators gathered at the door where Law exits and chased his car down the street, waving signs and chanting: "First things first, pay the victims now."
One parishioner, who would not give his name, confronted Law as the cardinal greeted people leaving the church. "No real healing will take place ... as long as you are the archbishop here," the man said.
Law's hand-picked advisers on the archdiocese's Finance Council outraged victims' advocates Friday when they refused to approve a settlement worth an estimated $15 million to $30 million with 86 people who have accused former priest John Geoghan of sexual abuse.
Geoghan was convicted in January of fondling a boy and is serving a nine-to-10 year prison sentence.
Law said he had learned only Friday that the settlement with Geoghan's accusers, which he endorsed in March, had to be reviewed by the 15-member finance council, made up mainly of lay business people. The council denied his request, the cardinal said, because "the dramatic increase in the number of cases has substantially altered the situation."
Plaintiff's attorney Mitchell Garabedian said he had told the archdiocese for years that the number of claims would escalate. During almost a year of negotiations, he said, the archdiocese's lawyers never mentioned that the settlement would be contingent upon the Finance Council's approval.
Garabedian said he would contact a judge Monday to set a court date to continue the litigation, including an immediate deposition of the cardinal.
Law, who has refused calls to resign over his handling of priests accused of sexual abuse, addressed this latest controversy Sunday as he launched his annual appeal to raise millions to help cover the archdiocese's day-to-day operating expenses and charitable mission.
Law told parishioners that the "constant crisis" will "very likely have an effect" on the amount raised for the church.
He has repeatedly said the money would not be used to cover settlements. Last year's appeal raised $16.1 million.
The archdiocese is considering mortgaging some of its real estate to raise the millions of dollars needed to settle with alleged victims, the archdiocese's chief financial officer, Chancellor David W. Smith, told the Boston Sunday Globe. He said it likely would take months to determine how much would be needed to pay the claims.