- Business notebook: Cape native goes from farm to mobile-food operation (3/20/17)1
- Three out, including city administrator, at Scott City; two resigned, one fired (3/16/17)1
- Several tournaments already booked at Sportsplex (3/16/17)6
- Legal discrimination complaint, ethics complaint filed in Scott City government (3/22/17)9
- Former Scott City administrator: 'I was forced to resign' (3/21/17)6
- Cairo man pleads guilty to bank murders (3/17/17)1
- Two people found dead in Advance house fire (3/21/17)
- Triplett manslaughter case set for July 2018 (3/21/17)2
- Two local lawmakers back charter school bill; Perryville lawmaker objects to measure (3/19/17)20
- Two Cape men charged with second-degree murder of Grandi (3/21/17)2
Israeli helicopter attack kills militia leader
HEBRON, West Bank -- A militia leader and another man were killed late Monday in an Israeli helicopter attack in the West Bank city of Hebron, witnesses said.
The helicopter fired missiles at a car, killing Marwan Zalloum, commander of the Al Aqsa Martyrs Brigade militia in the city, residents said. The militia, associated with Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat, has taken responsibility for dozens of attacks against Israelis in the West Bank and Gaza Strip during 1 1/2 years of violence.
Palestinian security officials said Zalloum was on a list of 33 activists that Israel turned over to the Palestinians several months ago, demanding that they be arrested.
The Israeli military confirmed that its helicopters fired missiles in a targeted killing.
Israeli forces have killed dozens of suspected Palestinian militant leaders in similar attacks during the conflict.
Hundreds of people gathered around the charred car after the attack, which came just before midnight. The bodies of the two men were badly burned, witnesses said.