- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)45
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)35
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
Dexter street dance, car show kicks off Saturday
DEXTER, Mo. -- Country music, classic cars and prize drawings will kick off the summer's Cruise-In and Street Dance schedule beginning Saturday from 7 to 9 p.m. in Downtown Dexter.
This is the second year for the monthly "happening," sponsored by the Historic Downtown Dexter Association. Future Cruise-in dates, are May 18, June 15, July 20.
The goal of the Downtown Dexter Association, said the group's treasurer and former president Donna West, is to offer a free evening of entertainment.
The classic cars are a big attraction, West said, and when more cars participate larger crowds are anticipated.
Cruise-in and Dance is more than an event for classic car lovers, however. Music lovers, those who like to dance or just listen, are invited to bring their lawn chairs and enjoy the evenings' live band performances.
On Saturday, Southern Country, a three-piece band from Campbell, Mo., will be featured. Bands will set up at Locust and Stoddard. That area, along with Stoddard Street, between Walnut and Locust, will be closed to traffic during the two-hour dance. The classic cars are traditionally on display along the designated area on Stoddard Street.
Event coordinator Mike Brown said the Poplar Bluff Rod and Custom Car Club has been contacted as well as many classic car owners through word of mouth.