- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)47
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
Sam Story Sr.
CHARLESTON, Mo. -- Sam E. Story Sr., 73, of Charleston died Tuesday, April 9, 2002, at his home.
He was born Nov. 11, 1928, in Charleston, son of Ernest Albert and Mary Leobe Story. He and Becky Holt were married June 10, 1948.
Story was a landowner and retired farmer. He served as mayor in 1971-72. He was a lifelong resident of Charleston. He was a member of the United Methodist Church and its administrative board, Masonic Lodge 407 AF&AM, American Legion, Moolah Temple, and was a 32nd Degree Scottish Rite Mason.
He was a member of Mensa International Society, chairman of the board at First Security State Bank in Charleston, and Security State Bank of Southeast Missouri in Caruthersville, Mo.
Story served in the U.S. Navy during the Korean War.
Survivors include his wife; a son, Sam Story Jr. of Sikeston, Mo.; a daughter, Rebel Dugan of Charleston; and five grandchildren.
He was preceded in death by his parents and two brothers.
Friends may call at the family home from 5 to 8 p.m. today.
Funeral will be at 1 p.m. Friday at the United Methodist Church, with the Revs. Ed Hankinson and Rick White officiating. Burial will be in IOOF Cemetery.
McMikle Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.