- Plans in the works to save Esquire Theater on Broadway in Cape (2/21/18)2
- Man transitioning to woman killed herself in Cape City Jail in June; news comes from architect's pitch in Kansas (2/15/18)2
- Bell City arrest, Scott City incident highlight high-alert status following Fla. school shooting (2/20/18)4
- Cape Girardeau businessman proposes redevelopment project; seeks taxing district to fund improvements (2/17/18)16
- TJ's Burgers, Wings & Pizza expands with dining area in Fruitland (2/16/18)
- Pence gets it right in response to attack on Christian faith (2/17/18)6
- As February winds down, Chaffee looking forward to reopening of ice cream shop (2/21/18)1
- Scott City puts school on lockdown; officials say alleged threat 'not credible' (2/21/18)2
- The heart of the matter: Clinic helps patients rise above congestive heart failure (2/17/18)
- Jackson schools purchased former orchard land, will lease for farming for now (2/15/18)
Colombian rebels release hostages
BOGOTA, Colombia -- Rebels released 11 hostages Wednesday with a message demanding the Colombian government reject any U.S. assistance to protect a crucial oil pipeline. President Bush has asked the U.S. Congress to approve a $98 million aid package to train and equip the Colombian military to protect the pipeline, which is used by Los Angeles-based Occidental Petroleum.
, among other companies.
The 480-mile pipeline has been frequently attacked by rebels from both the ELN and the larger Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia, or FARC.
Colombia's state oil company Ecopetrol said rebel sabotage of oil operations cost 24 million barrels in lost crude production last year. Colombia is the 10th-largest supplier of oil to the United States.
Reyes said he and the other hostages were all treated well, under the circumstances.
Also on Wednesday, authorities in Bogota seized more than $400,000 in Colombian pesos and dollars belonging to the FARC, prosecutors and the army said. The seizures came after a sweep of suspected FARC hide-outs in the capital, in which they also found accounting materials.