- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)39
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Man accused of pointing BB gun at Chaffee resident (04/26/16)2
Rock Invades Carbondale
By Donna Denson
The MTV Campus Invasion brings an evening of great rock music to southern Illinois. Bands Nickelback, Default, and Injected will grace the SIU Arena stage on Friday, April 19.
From their latest album, Silver Side Up, Nickelback's "Too Bad" is following in the footsteps of the band's monster crossover hit "How You Remind Me." The song is at Number 8 on Billboard's Modern Rock Chart, and it's at Number Six on the Radio & Records Mainstream Rock chart. Singer-songwriter Chad Kroeger wrote the song, which deals with the fact that his father wasn't around when he was a child.
The song reveals a more emotionally raw side to Nickelback. "How You Remind Me" finds Kroeger singing, "Never made it as a wise man/I couldn't cut it as a poor man stealing/Tired of living like a blind man/I'm sick inside without a sense of feeling" all sung over a quiet bed of melodic guitar.
Released in March of 2000, Nickelback's The State was a firecracker of a debut, with both "Breathe" and "Leader of Men" going top ten on the Mainstream Rock charts and "Old Enough" hitting the Top 20. The band from Canada toured ceaselessly for The State and went from virtual unknowns to playing in front of over a million people alongside the likes of Creed, 3 Doors Down and Fuel.
Also from Canada, Default's touring to support their debut album The Fallout, which came out in October. The song "Wasting My Time" is getting good airplay.
This upstart just released their first album, Burn It Black. It has a grungy sound reminiscent of Soundgarden and Alice In Chains, but has a freshness that's all its own. Maybe you've heard the lead single, "Faithless", from this Atlanta-based band.
Can you believe it - Smashmouth AND Nickelback performing in OUR area within weeks of each other? You've got to go!
TICKET INFORMATION - All tickets are $22.00. SIU Students receive a $2.00 discount when they purchase tickets at the SIU Arena. There is no floor seating, general admission only.
For more information, contact the Arena Special Events Ticket Office at 618/453-5341 or log on to www.siu.edu/~arena.