- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)42
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
Military digest 4/1
Cape native named Airman of the YearStaff Sgt. Michael G. Cook, of the 239th Combat Communications Squadron, located at Lambert International Airport at St. Louis, has been named Outstanding Airman of the Year for 2001.
Cook, a native of Cape Girardeau, graduate of Delta High School and graduate of Southeast Missouri State University with a bachelor of science in industrial technology management, enlisted in the Missouri Air National Guard 239th Combat Communications Squadron in 1997.
He has participated in numerous deployments, including Operation New Horizons, Honduras, 1999, and Operation Southern Watch, Kuwait, 2000. Cook is now assigned to the 239th Combat Communication Squadron as a shift supervisor on the Tactical Defense Message System Facility.
He recently completed his associate of science in information systems from the Community College of the Air Force.
Two complete Army basic training
Army Pvt. Donald C. Blattner has graduated from basic combat training at Fort Jackson, Columbia, S.C.
Blattner is the son of Chris and Karen Blattner of 878 County Road 335, Jackson, Mo.
He is a 2001 graduate of Jackson High School.
Army National Guard Pvt. Manuel J. Pavon has graduated from basic military training at Fort Leonard Wood, Waynesville, Mo.
Pavon is the brother of Bernadette Pavon of 134 S. Lorimier, Cape Girardeau.
He is graduated from Jackson High School in 1999.