- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Man accused of pointing BB gun at Chaffee resident (04/26/16)2
Dexter captures ND Invitational
JACKSON, Mo. -- Dexter finished with four golfers in the top 10 to win the third annual Notre Dame Invitational by nine strokes Wednesday at Bent Creek Golf Course.
Dexter topped the 13-team field with 316 to outdistance runner-up Jackson (325). Cape Central (332) placed fourth, host Notre Dame (347) was ninth and followed by Perryville (364) and St. Vincent (401).
Matt Litzelfelner of Jackson claimed the medalist honor with a 3-over-par 75.
The meet was originally scheduled for Monday but was postponed due to rain.
"It was still wet," Notre Dame coach Chris Janet said, "but everyone was excited to be playing in sunshine for a change."
CENTRAL 5, SIKESTON 1
SIKESTON,Mo.-- The Tigers scored three runs in the first en route to a victory over Sikeston.
Pitcher John Thies picked up his second win for Central (2-0) and Chris Conrad went 3-for-4 with 2 RBIs.
The Tigers' JV also improved to 2-0 with a 4-2 victory over Sikeston.
CAPE CENTRAL 121 NOTRE DAME 68
Cassie Kipper won two individual races and swam on two winning relays as Cape Central defeated Notre Dame in part of a dual meet with Lutheran South at Central Municipal Swimming Pool.
Kipper won the 50-meter and 500 freestyles and also swam legs on the 200 medley and 400 freestyle relays.
Notre Dame's Lindsay Kuper also had a big day, winning the 200 IM and 100 breaststroke in state qualifying times. Kuper also swam on the winning 200 freestyle relay, and made the 50 freestyle cut in the process.
Cape Central went 2-0 on the day, also defeating Lutheran South 118-65. Lutheran South bettered Notre Dame 88-81.
CENTRAL 7, SULLIVAN 0
SULLIVAN, Mo.-- Cape Central's girls had a 2-0 lead at the half and never looked back in a shutout of Sullivan.
Heidi Pilsner scored twice for Cape Central and Megan Freeze added a goal and two assists also. Central improved to 2-0. The JV girls also won by the same score and carry the same record as well.
JACKSON WINS MEET
The Jackson boys accumulated 143 points while Notre Dame racked up 91.
Jackson Girls had 139 points to Notre Dame girls' 86.
Mario Whitney finished first in the 100-and 200-meter dash. James Fortner finished first as well in the 110 hurdles, high jump and 300 hurdles.
ORAN 5, DELTA 5
Oran scored two runs in the top of the seventh to even the score at 5-5. Oran's Courtney Fowler led all hitters with two hits in four at-bats.
Rescheduled because of a rainout, the contest was moved from Delta to Oran in favor of better field conditions.
-- From staff reports